For those who are passionate about learning

Share your learning journey with others! Sharing tips, thoughts, and other information with those who are passionate about learning.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Payoffs from Structured Practice

I saw firsthand the payoff from structured practice.  My daughter's basketball team had a game this weekend.  I didn't think that the team was prepared after only two practices until...I saw them play!  When I saw them in action and win the game, it occurred to me that they won as a result of structured practice.

It was a great reminder that the number of practices didn't matter as much as the QUALITY of their practices.  The two practices that her team had were very structured and focused on just what they needed to win the game. 

I, of course, applied this refreshed learning to my work as a L&D professional.  Don't laugh, it's what I do(smile).  When creating learning activities, we must always provide structured practice.  Our goal should always be to provide practical application that can be used to perform effectively on the job.  Improved individual and organizational performance is the payoff for "structured practice" in the L&D world.

No comments:

Post a Comment