For those who are passionate about learning

Share your learning journey with others! Sharing tips, thoughts, and other information with those who are passionate about learning.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Taking Charge of Your Own Development

I often do check-ins to see how I’m developing as an L&D professional.  A couple of years ago during one of my check-ins, I realized that I was allowing my work environment to determine how I was developing my professional skills.  I felt that it was a waste of time to keep going to training, attending webinars, and networking with other L&D professionals because I wouldn’t be able to use whatever I learned from these activities in my current work environment.  This was totally the WRONG approach to take to my development!  I was not taking charge of my own development. 
After I realized that I wasted several years being stagnant in my career development, I decided that it was time for me to TAKE CHARGE of my own development.  I decided that I needed to place myself in environments where I can have stimulating conversations with other L&D professionals and stop allowing my current environment to dictate my growth potential. 
So what did I do?…I enrolled in graduate school in a Human Resource Development program.  That lasted for a semester and a half, which earned me nine credits.  After another check-in, I realized that graduate school wasn’t what I needed.  Although I gained new knowledge, I was in a program with people who were in pursuit of an L&D career.  I had already been in the field for 14 years.  I met quite of few individuals, whom I am still in contact today.  In fact, I coach, mentor, and assist them in entering into the field. 
During my last class in graduate school, I decided to pursue the Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP) credential in order to validate my current knowledge and skills as a L&D professional.  I needed to know that I knew what I thought I did.  I didn’t use the excuse that my organization won’t pay for it.  I was fortunate enough to use the money I had allocated for my next class in graduate school to pay for my certification.  This was truly a great accomplishment for me and I learned a lot during the study process!  It showed me that my skills hadn’t completely atrophied.  I was finally TAKING CHARGE OF MY OWN DEVELOPMENT!!! 
This was just the beginning.  In my next post, I will share with you some tips that I continue to use which have allowed me to keep my career development energized despite where I work or with whom I work.
You can take charge of your development too.  If I did it, so can you.  Maybe, you’ve already done it and can help someone on their learning journey.  Share your stories of how you’ve taken charge of your own development…

2 comments:

  1. Well, not sure where "We are onto you" is coming from, however I can certainly appreciate an empowerment approach to L&D. The art of mentoring and coaching others who may be more new to your industry [insert industry here] seems to get a bit of lip service, but I honestly haven't seen it in practice (based upon my two plus decades in the military/Federal space).

    That said, I am a huge fan of The Oz Principle and StrengthFinders 2.0 (find them both on Amazon) and helping folks point themselves in their own right direction.

    Personally, I did find that post-secondary degrees were what I wanted to pursue, in addition to other professional certifications.

    As with your CPLP, I had to make decisions regarding what to pursue first and chose the PMP. My Ph.D., FACHE, SPHR, CPLP, and CPT certifications are still in the works!

    Living is learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jay for your post! I agree with you that there seems to be a shortage of active mentoring in our industry for newcomers. I was fortunate to be exposed to experienced L&D professionals who took an interest in my development. I don't see a lot of that going on in the Federal government offices in which I have worked either.

    I found a lot of value with StrengthFinders also. Although we should still continue to develop our areas for improvement, we should spend equal amounts of time enhancing our strengths.

    Good luck with the additional certifications! Has the PMP served you well?

    ReplyDelete