For those who are passionate about learning

Share your learning journey with others! Sharing tips, thoughts, and other information with those who are passionate about learning.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Take Charge of Your Own Development (Part 2)

In my last post, I discussed how I decided to take charge of my own development. I explained how I began to energize my career. Once you start taking control of your own development you must continue by staying current in your field.
We are most happy when we feel like we have some control over things that impact our lives like our careers. Other benefits according to Mind Tools include: being better equipped to make informed decisions, building expert power, and keeping you alert to future trends.
Our development is totally up to us! No one can stop you from reading a book or attending a free webinar.

I now look for ways to stay current in the L&D field. Here's a few ways that I keep up-to-date...


Sign up for free newsletters and white papers...Mind Tools Newsletter, The Learning Cafe, Strategic Partners

Communities of practice...Toolbox for HR, OPM Federal Training and Development Wiki

Sign up for free webinars

Join National ASTD

Join Metro DC ASTD

Join LinkedIn groups...ASTD National, Chief Learning Officer, Young Government Leaders, CPLP

I have 3 mentoring partners which were mentioned in my April 13th post.


Industry reports...Bersin & Associates, ASTD Research

Networking...Metro DC Dinner Programs and networking events, attending special interest groups (SIGS) events

Volunteer at the ASTD Leadership Conference, and as Metro DC Director of SIGS opportunities

Subscribed to free publications...Chief Learning Officer, Talent Management Magazine

Sign up for Google Alerts

No comments:

Post a Comment